Wednesday 12 December 2012

Big Tree Night 2012 Shepperton


Re: WOW Shepperton, You Are Amazing

 Dear Friends,

WOW, what a night. Shepperton leads the way; truly, the evidence was witnessed by me last night at the massive community get together, Big Tree Night 2012. Sheppertonians know how to have fun. Real reindeers, Santa's grotto, stalls from edge to edge on the high street; from candy stall, entertainment, charities, rides, hot and cold food stall, the list is endless and its all run by volunteers. My hats off to them all: well virtually.

It was freezing cold evening, I was fully prepared for it, the hat, the gloves, polar jacket and a woolly hat, oh yes I was ready but sheer numbers made it all nice and warm, so I did not need my hat, glove but kept the jacket on :).And I think that there may have been around 7k-8k people there quite easily, the whole street was packed and it was also closed off. Men, women, children were simply there as it is like big family get together, I felt that nearly everybody knew each other, even though some of the people were there from other towns, but I felt that they were all connected with each other some-how either through relations or friendship. I am impressed.

I am proud of Ashford on the Map, Ashford Pride, Ashford Camera Club, Ashford Rotary Club, Ashford Scouts, SSFA & Royal British Legion and all the residents of Ashford, and the wonderful volunteers who organise it, it is a special event too and they all make Ashford very special, Thank you to you all, without you Ashford would be an ordinary town.
 
But Shepperton has taught me a lot last night. I would simply say thank you to Mathew Want, who invited me, as I did not know what to expect but I am happy that I did go. I walked up and down the street, seen all the stalls, plenty to eat n drink, I even bought 2 goody bags from the lovely Becky Middleton at the Herald stall at 65p each for my 2 children, good value for money I must say and a first aid kit from St John’s Ambulance stall.

The Mayor Cllr Robin Sider opened the event with his lovely wife; the Leader of the Spelthorne Borough Council Cllr Frank Ayers was there too with his lovely wife Ann, CEO Roberto Tambini, Cllr Robert Watts, and County Councillor Richard Walsh were all there. I met little Lily Star Crouch, Rod Stamford, Niki Molinar, Reindeers (met them all), Santa, Debra Birt, Jim Maxwell, The police support, St John’s Ambulance, Shepperton Rotary Club and many more (see the pictures). There may have been other councillors present but I only met the ones I have mentioned. If you guys were not there you have truly missed an experience of a life time, simply but genuine big family spirit was present, which is simply very rare to find nowadays. This mass enjoyment should be replicated through every town in Spelthorne; I hope that we can achieve this. I have documented it through pictures for you to see it all. Once again thank you Mathew.
 














 

No comments:

Post a Comment